Subject: bug#16057: Non-parallel test suite API changes in 1.13

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:28:32 +0000

tags 16057 notabug
close 16057
stop

On 12/05/2013 01:37 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Hi,
Hello Behdad.

> Please advise how one is supposed to port their pre-1.13 test suite's
> TESTS_ENVIRONMENT to 1.13.  Currently, in fontconfig and harfbuzz at least, we
> cannot find a solution that works both with 1.11 and 1.13, and we cannot
> require 1.13.
>
Why not? 1.13 is almost one year old now...

> Example change that is not acceptable:
> 
> https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/commit/d913f98d88098fc0f4163dfbc54d8ca9ebe9dd81
>
Sorry but my suggestion would be exactly along the lines of that
commit.

You might be able to keep 1.11 compatibility with some more-or-less
hacky workaround, but I'm not going to try to work out the details,
because I believe that is the wrong approach.  Automake is only
required by developers, it's easy to install (and to install multiple
versions in parallel, if different level of APIs compatibilities are
needed), and only requires a very tiny amount of disk space.

I'm closing this bug as "works as intended".  Sorry.

Regards,
  Stefano