Subject: Re: bug#16038: 24.3; latest change to with-help-window makes temp-buffer-browse useless

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 15:01:03 +0100

> with-help-window has been changed to use with-temp-buffer-window.
 > temp-buffer-window-show has special treatment for
 > temp-buffer-resize-mode but not temp-buffer-browse-mode (in GNU ELPA).
 >
 > There seems to be a significant overlap between with-temp-buffer-window
 > and with-output-to-temp-buffer. I wonder if there is a better design of
 > with-temp-buffer-window that re-use/blend with
 > with-output-to-temp-buffer. I also find the similar hooks (setup/show
 > hooks) between these macros confusing.

`with-help-window' does some things differently which I could not put
into `with-output-to-temp-buffer' due to compatibility issues.  Can't
you put `temp-buffer-browse-mode' on `temp-buffer-window-show-hook'?

 > Maybe what need isn't a macro close to with-output-to-temp-buffer but
 > one (e.g with-temp-window) close to with-temp-buffer.

The idea of `with-temp-buffer' is to create a temporary buffer where you
evaluate things and _kill_ that buffer immediately afterwards.  The idea
of `with-temp-buffer-window' is to show the buffer and keep it around at
least until you quit the window.

martin