Subject: bug#16038: 24.3; latest change to with-help-window makes temp-buffer-browse useless

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 07:06:11 -0800 (PST)

> > Huh?  What's this about?  Why on Earth would we deprecate
> > `with-output-to-temp-buffer'?  How about some reasons for such a
> > proposal?
> >
> > My code and other 3rd-party libraries use `with-output-to-temp-buffer'
> > all over the place.
> >
> > But I have no code that uses `with-temp-buffer-window'.  And googling
> > for it shows one hit to the Elisp manual and the rest are hits to
> > Emacs bugs!  I do not see zillions of users of
> > `with-temp-buffer-window', which was not introduced until Emacs 24.3.
> 
> We are trying to consolidate the features of the two macros into one so
> no feature is lost.

Yes, clearly.  I got that.  But why would you even consider
`with-temp-buffer-window', rather than `with-output-to-temp-buffer', as
the end target of your consolidation?

Incorporate whatever you feel you need to into
`with-output-to-temp-buffer', as long as "no feature is lost" from it.
But please do not consider deprecating `with-output-to-temp-buffer'.
It was that possibility that was mentioned and that I replied to.

If you feel that you need to deprecate something here, deprecate the
new addition, `with-temp-buffer-window', which has hardly been used
anywhere.