Subject: bug#16038: 24.3; latest change to with-help-window makes temp-buffer-browse useless

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:42:31 +0800

On 2014-01-14 09:47 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> What makes you think we could?
>
>
>         Stefan

I have no idea why those hooks are needed in the first place. Thus
asking. The commit that added this is:

revno: 39713
committer: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
timestamp: Tue 2001-10-09 11:17:39 +0000
message:
  Don't require `view' when compiling.
  (help-with-tutorial, describe-function, describe-function-1)
  (variable-at-point, describe-variable, locate-library):
  Functions moved into `help-funs.el'.
  (help-manyarg-func-alist): Variable moved into `help-funs.el'.
  (help-mode, help-mode-setup, help-mode-finish, help-button-action)
  (help-setup-xref, help-xref-following, help-make-xrefs)
  (help-xref-button, help-insert-xref-button, help-xref-interned)
  (help-xref-go-back, help-go-back, help-do-xref, help-follow)
  (help-xref-on-pp): Functions moved into `help-mode.el'
  (help-mode-map, help-xref-stack, help-xref-stack-item)
  (help-highlight-p, help-highlight-face, help-back-label)
  (help-xref-symbol-regexp, help-xref-mule-regexp)
  (help-xref-info-regexp): Variables moved into `help-mode.el'.
  (help-symbol, help-back, help-info, help-customize-variable)
  (help-function-def, help-variable-def):
  Button-types moved into `help-mode.el'.
  (load-symbol-file-load-history, symbol-file):
  Functions moved into `subr.el'.
  (symbol-file-load-history-loaded): Variable moved into `subr.el'.
  (view-lossage): Call `help-setup-xref' instead of doing it manually.

Now that with-help-window is implemented on top of
with-temp-buffer-window, it seems they are useless.

The whole thing also looks odd how temp-buffer is tied to
help-buffer/window etc?

Leo