Subject: bug#16038: 24.3; latest change to with-help-window makes temp-buffer-browse useless

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 21:54:35 -0400

Leo Liu wrote:

> Could we remove the following two add-hooks?
>
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> (add-hook 'temp-buffer-setup-hook 'help-mode-setup)
> (add-hook 'temp-buffer-show-hook 'help-mode-finish)
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If you want to do this (I know you already did...), you need to add an
incompatible change entry to NEWS about this, and you need to audit
every single use of with-output-to-temp-buffer to find the ones that
expected their output buffers to be in help mode. Which I guess would
be, umm, all of them?

The first one I tried:

emacs -Q -f report-emacs-bug

*Bug Help* buffer is in Help mode in 24.3.92, and fundamental in trunk.

Does it actually matter in that case? Maybe not, but the buffer was
clearly intended te be in help mode.

And here's a case where it definitely does matter
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17966

(This report has become rather long; I hope it doesn't get too much longer.)