Subject: bug#16038: 24.3; latest change to with-help-window makes temp-buffer-browse useless

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 22:32:03 +0800

On 2014-01-11 22:01 +0800, martin rudalics wrote:
[snipped 10 lines]
> `with-help-window' does some things differently which I could not put
> into `with-output-to-temp-buffer' due to compatibility issues.  Can't
> you put `temp-buffer-browse-mode' on `temp-buffer-window-show-hook'?

Thanks, Martin, for your response.

with-output-to-temp-buffer usually are used to show useful text.
with-temp-buffer-window is sometimes used to show temporary text such as
used by dired to show a list of marked files. Certainly I can put a hook
temp-buffer-window-show-hook but then I also need to opt out those
temporary cases. And it seems temp-buffer-resize-mode is now
unnecessarily coupled with the window.el code, i.e. if we were to move
temp-buffer-resize-mode to a standalone package it won't work without
help from window.el.

The more interesting question is is it possible to merge these two
macros? For example, will it work if we can re-design the first argument
of with-output-to-temp-buffer to accept a list (BUFFER-OR-NAME ACTION
QUIT-FUNCTION) or an atom BUFFER-OR-NAME?

Leo