Subject: Re: bug#16028: 24.3.50; Latest build completely breaks my thumnail frames code

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:22:13 +0100

> OK, but leave it in where?  That's my question.  After the call to
 > `enlarge-font' in `thumfr-thumbify-frame'?

If it works, yes.

 > I have sound turned off and visual-bell has no effect in my environment.
 > And I would rather not fiddle with `window--resize-root-window'.

In *scratch* evaluate

(defvar my-thumbify nil)
(defvar my-counter 0)

(defun window--resize-root-window (window delta horizontal ignore pixelwise)
   "Resize root window WINDOW vertically by DELTA lines.
HORIZONTAL non-nil means resize root window WINDOW horizontally
by DELTA columns.

IGNORE non-nil means ignore any restrictions imposed by fixed
size windows, `window-min-height' or `window-min-width' settings.

This function is only called by the frame resizing routines.  It
resizes windows proportionally and never deletes any windows."
   (when my-thumbify
     (setq my-counter (1+ my-counter)))
   (when (and (windowp window) (numberp delta))
     (let ((pixel-delta
	   (if pixelwise
	       delta
	     (window--size-to-pixel window delta horizontal))))
       (when (window-sizable-p window pixel-delta horizontal ignore t)
	(window--resize-reset (window-frame window) horizontal)
	(window--resize-this-window
	 window pixel-delta horizontal ignore t)))))

and bind my-thumbify to t around your `enlarge-font' call.  Then tell me
the value of my-counter.

 > Are you unable to use `thumb-frm.el' for your tests?  AFAIK, it works on
 > any platform ("works" apart from this bug, I mean).  You should be able
 > to just load `frame-fns.el', `frame-cmds.el', and `thumb-frm.el', and
 > try it.  (You don't need all of the code in those 3 libraries, but it
 > won't hurt to load them for quick testing.)

I believe that your code works just as you say that it does.  So this
won't help.

 > But sad to say, when I try it from emacs -Q, loading those 3 libraries
 > and inserting `sit-for' after `enlarge-font' in `thumfr-thumbify-frame',
 > it does *not* solve the problem.  It works for my setup, but not for
 > this test from emacs -Q.  Sounds like subtle display timing thingies.
 > Or maybe font differences.  Or...?

Maybe.  The problem is to boil this down to a minimum test example.  If
that example is three files long, it will take me a year to find out.

 > I think it would be better if you could test this stuff on your end.
 > It is easy to see the problem, at least - just try emacs -Q, load those
 > 3 files, then hit C-z.  Try adding sit-for here or there (where?), to
 > see if it helps.  I tried and failed (with emacs -Q).

If you don't investigate yourself and come up with a simple, repeatable
example, I'm afraid we won't be able to fix this soon.

martin