Subject: bug#16028: 24.3.50; Latest build completely breaks my thumnail frames code

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:10:42 +0100

> Since we can now resize a frame pixelwise with an explicit request
 > (right?), would it be possible to fix the above by
 >
 >   (3) Ask for change of the frame size by giving explicit dimensions
 >       in pixel units.
 >
 > ?  If not, why not?

We always could resize frames pixelwise and also did so IIRC, for
example, when faking maximized or fullscreen frames.  After that, we
either left the last pixels of the echo area dangling, left some empty
space between side by side windows, or extended the rightmost fringe by
some pixels.  All this because change_frame_size wasn't able to resize
pixelwise.  The display engine worked pixelwise for a long time already,
as can be easily seen, for example, when drawing a fullscreen modeline.

If you want to change the frame size pixelwise from Lisp, you can now
use `set-frame-size'.  But this won't solve the problem that issuing two
requests in sequel is still inherently broken on Windows.  The problem
here is that we don't resynch with Windows after calling
my_set_window_pos in x_set_window_size as I explained earlier.

martin