Subject: Gnus shouldn't use old connections

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:03:44 -0500

Package: Emacs
Version: 24.3.50

Gnus should consider a connection as dead if it has been idle for more
than some timeout value (e.g. 5 minutes).  This bites me every day when
I wake up my computer: if I just hit `g' to refresh the *Group* buffer,
it *always* hangs (I guess it would timeout but only after a long wait,
like 2h).  Instead, I have to go to *Server*, close each server, go back
to *Group* and then hit `g'.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.22)
 of 2013-11-22 on pastel
Bzr revision: [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure -C --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -O0 -Wno-pointer-sign''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
n C-a <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> d C-e , SPC 
o r SPC <M-backspace> <backspace> <backspace> ? <return> 
<return> <return> M-i S t e f a n C-c C-c <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <select-window> <select-window> n k 
k q s <return> <return> SPC n n l l n <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> n <select-window> 
<select-window> <help-echo> SPC k q s <return> k q 
s <return> <select-window> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> C-SPC C-e M-w <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> <switch-frame> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> SPC w i t 
h SPC m i n o r SPC t w e k a s <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> a k s SPC <backspace> , <backspace> SPC 
( m o s t SPC i m p o r t a <M-backspace> v i s i b 
l y , SPC u s i n g SPC " v " SPC r a t h e r SPC t 
h s n SPC <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> a n SPC 
" t C-e . C-c C-c M-> q s <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <return> <return> <select-window> 
<select-window> <help-echo> SPC n n q s n n n n n n 
n n <return> <return> q s <return> <return> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
n <help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> 
n k <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-2> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <select-window> <select-window> 
<help-echo> q s <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<select-window> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> M-x g n - e 
m - b u g <tab> <return> C-g M-x r e - e m - b u <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
Saving /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...done
Opening nntp server on gwene...done
Saving /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld
Saving /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...done
Saving /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld
Saving /home/monnier/var/newsrc.eld...done
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/company/.dir-locals hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/js2-mode/.dir-locals
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/company/.dir-locals hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow emacsbug smerge-mode iso-transl vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc
vc-dispatcher vc-bzr rect nndoc shell pcomplete comint ring url-http
url-gw url-auth url-queue woman tutorial man info-look help-macro
help-at-pt ehelp apropos canlock pp debug footnote cus-edit cus-start
cus-load dabbrev diff-mode jka-compr gnus-fun supercite regi nnir
shr-color color shr gnus-dup misearch multi-isearch nnagent nnml
executable copyright flow-fill mm-archive gnus-html browse-url xml
url-cache mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mule-util sort smiley
ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp gnus-ml nnfolder
utf-7 nndraft nnmh rfc2104 gnutls network-stream starttls nnimap
parse-time tls utf7 netrc nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source server gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils wid-edit noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc
checkdoc thingatpt help-mode advice help-fns electric url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars reveal
autoinsert proof-site proof-autoloads cl-macs gv cl pg-vars uniquify
time-date savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table finder-inf edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs cl-lib info easymenu package bbdb-autoloads agda2
vm-autoloads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)