Subject: Re: bug#16013: 24.3.50; Rows in height is interpreted as pixels.

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:13:54 +0100

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 08:56:04 +0100 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> FYI I applied the new patch and started the rebuilt Emacs with my
>> initializations, which contain this:
>>
>> (modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 85) (fullscreen . fullheight)))
>>
>> However, window-width in fact returned 73 (but window-height was the full
>> height).  Then I evalled this:
>>
>> (modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 85)))
>>
>> Now, window-width was 78.  (Maybe the increase despite the same passed
>> width value is because I customize the tool bar to appear on the left
>> side, and maybe that takes effect after the initial frame width is set.)
>> To get a window-width of 85 columns, I had to give the width
>> frame-parameter a value of 92.
>
> I suppose this is the same issue I experience with my height value when
> the toolbar is at the top.

I think that's it, and this seems to be confirmed by starting my Emacs
like this:

emacs --eval '(tool-bar-mode -1)'

Now window-width returns the correct value of 85.  So it seems that the
metrics of your new patch are correct, but not the interaction of width
and height frame parameters with the tool bar.

>                             Which toolkit do you use, if any?

gtk3

Steve Berman