Subject: Re: bug#16013: 24.3.50; Rows in height is interpreted as pixels.

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 23:03:09 +0100

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 19:15:36 +0100 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> (/ (frame-text-height) (frame-char-height))
>>
>> 47.
>>
>>> (/ (frame-text-width) (frame-char-width))
>>
>> This is a bit random.  On 5 starts, I got 79 once, 83 once and 84
>> three times.  And the number of columns match, 79, 83 and 84.
>
> My old patch was silly - it propagated the frame's pixel sizes instead
> of the text sizes to xg_frame_set_char_size.  Please try the attached
> one.  I still have two problems here: The height of the initial frame
> is by six lines too small and a new frame made via C-x 5 2 is two
> lines higher than the initial one.

FYI I applied the new patch and started the rebuilt Emacs with my
initializations, which contain this:

(modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 85) (fullscreen . fullheight)))

However, window-width in fact returned 73 (but window-height was the full
height).  Then I evalled this:

(modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 85)))

Now, window-width was 78.  (Maybe the increase despite the same passed
width value is because I customize the tool bar to appear on the left
side, and maybe that takes effect after the initial frame width is set.)
To get a window-width of 85 columns, I had to give the width
frame-parameter a value of 92.

This is with the xft backend and font
-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1

Steve Berman