Subject: Re: bug#16007: admin/charsets/mule-charsets.el requires old Emacs version

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:48:28 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:54:22 -0500
> 
> The charsets etc/charsets/MULE*.map are generated files, produced by
> admin/charsets/mule-charsets.el. But this requires Emacs 21.3 or 22,
> it does not work with modern Emacs. Therefore Emacs cannot
> self-bootstrap without an old Emacs around. I think this is a problem.

Mostly fixed in trunk revision 115303.

The only remaining problem is with MULE-is13194.map, in which the
modified code generates an empty equivalence list.  But a similar
problem happens with list-charset-chars, so I guess this charset needs
some special handling (it seems to be mapped to a private plane, see
ind-util.el).

Perhaps Handa-san (CC'ed) could help us out here.

Btw, while removing these and similar files from the repository,
please keep in mind the possibility that Emacs is bootstrapped in a
non-ASCII directory, which could use characters from these charsets.
Let's not remove any files that will defeat such a possibility.