Subject: Re: bug#16007: admin/charsets/mule-charsets.el requires old Emacs version

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 23:50:22 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Emacs 23/24 is built with those maps.  Thus generating those
> > maps by Emacs 23/24 is nonsense.

> But we are just one step away of having mule-charsets.el DTRT in Emacs
> 24 as well.

The source of those maps is Emacs 22; more precisely
mule-conf.el and ucs-tables.el of Emacs 22.  I used Emacs 22
itself rather than writing a converter of those files just
because the former was far easier.

Anyway, if Emacs 24 has a bug, for instance, in
map-charset-chars, we may generate wrong maps with that
buggy Emacs.

> Is the effort of making it work with MULE-is13194.map is
> so significant?

??? I'm saying that such an effort is useless.  If someone
want to generate those maps, he/she should use Emacs 22.

>  Can you tell me what needs to be done to support that
> charset?

Nothing other than fixing the current Emacs so that
list-charset-chars works correctly with indian-is13194.

>  I'll then code that myself.  Who knows, we might need this
> some day, even if that day is far away.

Emacs 22 will not run on any avairable machine in the
future, then we loose the original source of MULE-* maps.
That's the same as an internet site from which we copied the
other maps will be closed in the future.

But what is the problem?  We already have the necessary
correct maps.  The reason of having mule-charsets.el is to
tell how those maps are generated, not to re-generate those
maps.

---
Kenichi Handa
[email-masked]