Subject: Re: bug#16005: inferior-lisp and filenames with spaces

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:45:05 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 09:30:34 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Then how about using split-string-and-unquote instead of split-string?
> 
> That would be an improvement, certainly.  It'd take care of
> "\"foo bar\" zot".  However, it doesn't do "foo\\ bar zot", and both are
> equivalent in shells.

Users will have to use quoting "like this".  We can document that.
It's a relatively rare use case, so I don't think the partial support
for quoting is such a bad idea.

> Which is why I wondered whether we had a function to split based on
> shell(ish) syntax, which would be the optimal solution here...

I think split-string-and-unquote is the only one that comes close.  If
someone wants to emulate the shells we support, patches are welcome
(and then there will still be the problem to know the exact shell
which is being targeted in each use case).