Subject: emacs hangs at start

From: glux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 00:52:08 -0800 (PST)

I have upgraded my openSuSe Linux to the new 13.1 version which includes
emacs 24.3.1 GTK version.

When logging in via SSH (putty) and starting emacs th esession will freeze
accepting no input at all.

It appears the Problem is probably linked to the use of dbus. While this is
a SSH session and DISPLAY is not defined emacs start emacs-gtk with dbus. As
soon as I send a kill to th edbus-luanch process created, emacs stops the
freeze and I get control.

There have been several Posts about starting emacs without dbus which are
not realy practical in my case:

1. Compile without dbus support: no Option as I want to use the stock
pre-compiled emacs
2. DISPLAY=emacs --daemon: works, but rather a Workaround than a solution
3. env DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/tmp/foo emacs: Also a workaround,
and did also not work when I tested it

The only proper solution in my eyes would be to have an emacs Option like
--no-dbus as suggested in another bug to disable dbus at start.

So at least one would have control over dbus. This does not exclude
investigating the hang of course.

--
View this message in context: http://emacs.1067599.n5.nabble.com/emacs-hangs-at-start-tp304290.html
Sent from the Emacs - Bugs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.