Subject: Re: bug#15994: 24.3.50; emacs_backtrace.txt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 19:38:09 +0200

> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:00:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Just as an update: 1. I'm getting plenty of these crashes still.
> 2. The latest occurred when I clicked the `X' in the upper right
> corner of a frame (showing buffer *Help*, I believe), to delete it.

I have just installed some code that hopefully will allow us to find
out where these crashes come from.  This code adds the following 2
lines at the beginning of emacs_backtrace.txt:

  Exception 0xc0000005 at this address:
  1205b6c

(The exception code and the address will be different in each case, of
course.)  We could then use this information to begin unlocking the
mystery.  I have a guess as to what causes the crashes, but I'd like
some confirmation before I embark on a wild goose chase.

I hope that the code really does its job in your crashes -- I could
only simulate a simple crash to test it, so I cannot be sure.

Also, could you perhaps post some minimal Lisp that would recreate
your typical frame configuration starting from "emacs -Q"?  I'm
guessing you have a minibuffer-only frame, and pop-up-frames is
non-nil, but how many frames of what dimensions and relative location
do you usually have?  Perhaps having that information would provide
valuable clues.

I'm only interested in frame configuration at this point, not in any
other customizations.