Subject: Re: bug#15993: 24.3.50; doc of `set-temporary-overlay-map' - explain "used only once"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 19:06:53 -0800

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> This pertains to both the Elisp manual and the doc string.
>
> This function puts a keymap in place temporarily, and that keymap
> overrides most other keymaps.  The important question of what
> "temporarily" means here is not answered by the doc.  It says only
> "Normally, MAP is used only once."  A user is left to guess what
> "used only once" means.  Only one occurrence of what?

The doc string now says

Set MAP as a temporary keymap taking precedence over other keymaps.
Normally, MAP is used only once, to look up the very next key.
However, if the optional argument KEEP-PRED is t, MAP stays
active if a key from MAP is used.  KEEP-PRED can also be a
function of no arguments: if it returns non-nil, then MAP stays
active.

which I think is clear enough.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/