Subject: Re: bug#15991: 24.3.50; Wishlist: Make test suite user-friendlier

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 13:33:27 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:00:19 +0200
> From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
> > I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.  When a test fails,
> > don't you want to debug Emacs to understand why and find a solution?
> >
> > So yes, testing and debugging are different things, but when a test
> > fails, one frequently needs to debug Emacs.
> >
> >
> 
> That depends. IIUC it's about making it more user friendly.
> Perspective of users is different from core developers.
> 
> So if, say 10 from 100 tests fail, it doesn't mean to start a debug.
> Maybe just taking notice and look, if it matters for current task.

If someone just wants to take a look, they can do just that.  No one
is forcing them to say "make foo.log DEBUG=1" and run the foo test
under a debugger.  This is an optional feature, as should be clear
from reading the original bug report and this discussion.

> We had that matter already WRT steep learning curve.
> Keeping things apart if possible is important.

Not sure how is this related to the issue at hand.  Maybe you should
read the whole discussion.