Subject: Re: bug#15991: 24.3.50; Wishlist: Make test suite user-friendlier

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:23:10 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>>> ~/src/emacs> make -B -C test/automated tramp-tests.log
>>
>> Yes, the issue is that the log depends only on the test source file,
>> not on "all of Emacs".
>
> I mean, we could force it so that the tests are simply run every time,
> but I wasn't sure if that was preferable.

I believe it is desirable to run the tests unconditionally when invoked
via make. People call "make check" for a reason.

Maybe you could even offer the test package name as target. Then one
could call "make -C test/automated tramp-tests",

There is another issue. By redirecting the output to a file, the
password prompt for tramp-tests isn't visible anymore. This is a real
regression, because these tests are intended to run for different remote
file names. Could you pipe the test output through tee or something like
this? I don't know how portable this would be, 'tho.

Best regards, Michael.