Subject: bug#16000: closed (Re: bug#15988: 24.3; Pointer in new frames does not move)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15988: emacs hangs at start

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15988: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15988
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15988: 24.3; Pointer in new frames does not move
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Vincenzo Andretta <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:45:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Vincenzo Andretta <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem seems to have disappeared after a software update done
> just yesterday.  I am not entirely sure this is connected to the
> problem reported, but here is the relevant extract from the change log
> of emacs package in openSUSE 13.1:
>
>   Tue 03 Dec 2013 13:00:00 CET
>   - Change emacs wrapper script to use new dbus-run-session tool to
>     avoid hanging emacs on terminal mode due I/O conflict on stdin
>     of both emacs and dbus-launch session (bnc#853082)
>
> Thanks for you attention.

The solution seems to be to upgrade the version of Emacs shipped with
openSUSE 13.1.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: emacs hangs at start
From: glux <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 00:52:08 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have upgraded my openSuSe Linux to the new 13.1 version which includes
emacs 24.3.1 GTK version.

When logging in via SSH (putty) and starting emacs th esession will freeze
accepting no input at all.

It appears the Problem is probably linked to the use of dbus. While this is
a SSH session and DISPLAY is not defined emacs start emacs-gtk with dbus. As
soon as I send a kill to th edbus-luanch process created, emacs stops the
freeze and I get control.

There have been several Posts about starting emacs without dbus which are
not realy practical in my case:

1. Compile without dbus support: no Option as I want to use the stock
pre-compiled emacs
2. DISPLAY=emacs --daemon: works, but rather a Workaround than a solution
3. env DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/tmp/foo emacs: Also a workaround,
and did also not work when I tested it

The only proper solution in my eyes would be to have an emacs Option like
--no-dbus as suggested in another bug to disable dbus at start.

So at least one would have control over dbus. This does not exclude
investigating the hang of course.

--
View this message in context: http://emacs.1067599.n5.nabble.com/emacs-hangs-at-start-tp304290.html
Sent from the Emacs - Bugs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.