Subject: Re: bug#15986: df in current coreutils shows the device for loop mounts, not the file

From: Linda Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 22:39:50 -0800

On 11/28/2013 3:16 PM, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
> In the end, mtab as symlink to /proc/self/mounts is the right thing,
> as it presents the view of the kernel ... which is always the correct
> one.
----

I can think of 2 cases where the kernel displays the wrong information
concerning mounts.

1) rootfs -- I have no such device.  I even tell the kernel on the
boot command line root=/dev/sdc1.  There is no excuse for displaying
garbage in that field.

2) I specify the standard LVM names /dev/VG/LV -- which the kernel then
mangles.  The kernel gets it wrong again -- it loses the information of
what the user mounted there.  Device wise, they may be similar or the same,
but conceptually, the kernel can't even get the names of my devices as
I used them, correctly.  The lvm people say they /dev/mapper/ names are
not standard form and not to use them.  If the kernel actually reflected
the information the user provided, I'd agree that it was right.  As it
can't seem to either hold on to or echo that information, I would say it
is defective.