Subject: Re: bug#15984: 24.3; Problem with combining characters in attachment filename

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:43:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Good! I thought emacs used a simpler mapping character <-> a single
>> unicode value.
>
> Maybe I misunderstood you: what's the difference between those two
> alternatives?

What I think is the right thing, is to allow a sequence of unicode
values, e.g., "A" + combining character, or "A" + any random sequence of
combining characters, intern this string, and treat this as a single
"character".

The idea is that this character object should correspond to what the
user thinks of as a single character. E.g, one glyph per character, and
treated as a unit by forward-char, and regexp matching with "." and
character sets.

When reading text files, the character boundaries may be configurble.
E.g, there could be a mode which makes each and every unicode value a
single character, which will then be displayed as separate glyphs,
separate characters for regexp matching, etc.

>> > Thanks.  I'd also need instructions to display that message in Gnus
>> > after saving it to a file, starting with "emacs -Q", as I don't have
>> > Gnus set up and don't use it in my day-to-day work.

Move away any gnus-related configuration files (~/.gnus, ~/.newsrc*).

Create a spool-like directory, e.g, "~/tmp/mail". Copy the file to
"~/tmp/mail/1". Start emacs -Q -nw -f gnus-no-server. In the *Group* buffer,
press G d to create a directory group, enter ~/tmp/mail. You should now
be able to enter that group, and select the message in the *Summary*
buffer.

To mimic my setup, do this in an xterm running in a latin-1 locale. (I
have to send this off now, I'll try later to really see if this recipe
reproduces the problem for me).

I also tried to reproduce the problem on another machine, with debian
gnu/linux and emacs-23.4. This version worked fine, no crash.

Regards,
/Niels

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.