Subject: bug#15984: 24.3; Problem with combining characters in attachment filename

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 09:49:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> (Digression: I think text-processor supporting unicode really ought to
>> represent "characters" as interned strings of unicode (or utf-8) code
>> points.
>
> That's what Emacs does since v23.1 (except that we extend the range of
> Unicode codepoints to represent some non-unified characters and binary
> raw bytes).

Good! I thought emacs used a simpler mapping character <-> a single
unicode value.

> > glyphs should usually be associated only with the normalized form.
> 
> Here I disagree.  There are definitely situations where this is not
> TRT, and they aren't "unusual".

Ok. What's the typical use case where you'd want to have different
glyphs for "Å", "A" + ring above combining char, and Ångström unit sign?

> Thanks.  I'd also need instructions to display that message in Gnus
> after saving it to a file, starting with "emacs -Q", as I don't have
> Gnus set up and don't use it in my day-to-day work.

I'm also not sure how to do that, but I'll try to figure out.

Regards,
/Niels

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.