Subject: bug#15984: 24.3; Problem with combining characters in attachment filename

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 09:16:44 +0200

> From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 23:17:06 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > If you expected Emacs to perform normalization in this case, then I
> > don't think we do this automatically (or at all).
> 
> I think for display, normalizing is definitely the right thing to do
> (the unicode spec, as I understand it, require that a "compliant"
> implementation treats different ways to code "ä" equivalently).
> But I understand if emacs currenty doesn't do that.

Someone(TM) should write the code to do that.

> (Digression: I think text-processor supporting unicode really ought to
> represent "characters" as interned strings of unicode (or utf-8) code
> points.

That's what Emacs does since v23.1 (except that we extend the range of
Unicode codepoints to represent some non-unified characters and binary
raw bytes).

> These characters can have relations such as "normalized to"

This part requires incorporation of tables and supporting code, which
needs to be written.

> glyphs should usually be associated only with the normalized form.

Here I disagree.  There are definitely situations where this is not
TRT, and they aren't "unusual".

> I'll try to send you a private mail with the bulk of the message with
> the body of the attachment replaced (the base64 text in the raw message;
> if the problem really is with the attachment headers, that shouldn't
> matter); if that's for some reason not usable, I'll send you the
> complete message.

Thanks.  I'd also need instructions to display that message in Gnus
after saving it to a file, starting with "emacs -Q", as I don't have
Gnus set up and don't use it in my day-to-day work.