Subject: Re: bug#15984: 24.3; Problem with combining characters in attachment filename

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 23:17:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> If you expected Emacs to perform normalization in this case, then I
> don't think we do this automatically (or at all).

I think for display, normalizing is definitely the right thing to do
(the unicode spec, as I understand it, require that a "compliant"
implementation treats different ways to code "ä" equivalently).
But I understand if emacs currenty doesn't do that.

(Digression: I think text-processor supporting unicode really ought to
represent "characters" as interned strings of unicode (or utf-8) code
points. These characters can have relations such as "normalized to", and
glyphs should usually be associated only with the normalized form. One
could also have configurable rules for character boundaries, as is
described in the unicode book, or at least was in the version which was
current when I tried to read up on this some years ago).

> Can you send that message as a binary attachment?

It's not very sensitive (it's about shares and options for a company I
used to be employed by), but I'd prefer it not to be posted publicly on
the bugtracker, or widely distributed among emacs hackers.

I'll try to send you a private mail with the bulk of the message with
the body of the attachment replaced (the base64 text in the raw message;
if the problem really is with the attachment headers, that shouldn't
matter); if that's for some reason not usable, I'll send you the
complete message.

Regards,
/Niels

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.