Subject: Please add easy key bindings for outline-(minor-)mode

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:57:14 +0200

This is a "wishlist" bug with an example code to solve the issue.

The default key bindings for outline-mode and outline-minor-mode are
difficult to remember and slow to use. I think the main reason is that
there are way too many different key-bindings to operate with outlining.

I suggest that you make keys like M-<left> and M-<right> to act modally
so that they open and close one outline level at the time depending on
which levels and bodies are currently visible. In addition to that, and
to make outline navigating easy, M-<up> and M-<down> could move the
cursor to previous and next visible outline header.

I'll attach a code that I use. It works as I explained above. The code
is partly written by me but it's based on a code on Emacs wiki page:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OutlineMinorMode

In the Emacs wiki the original code is titled "Explorer like
Key-Bindings" and my modified version is "Variation of Explorer-like
bindings". The latter is attached to this message). The code is licensed
with the usual Emacs wiki license (see the bottom of the web page):

    This work is licensed to you under version 2 of the GNU General
    Public License. Alternatively, you may choose to receive this work
    under any other license that grants the right to use, copy, modify,
    and/or distribute the work, as long as that license imposes the
    restriction that derivative works have to grant the same rights and
    impose the same restriction. For example, you may choose to receive
    this work under the GNU Free Documentation License, the
    CreativeCommons ShareAlike License, the XEmacs manual license, or
    similar licenses.