Subject: bug#1598: Please add easy key bindings for outline-(minor-)mode

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 17:55:27 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The default key bindings for outline-mode and outline-minor-mode are
>> difficult to remember and slow to use. I think the main reason is that
>> there are way too many different key-bindings to operate with outlining.
>>
>> I suggest that you make keys like M-<left> and M-<right> to act modally
>> so that they open and close one outline level at the time depending on
>> which levels and bodies are currently visible. In addition to that, and
>> to make outline navigating easy, M-<up> and M-<down> could move the
>> cursor to previous and next visible outline header.
>
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately wasn't resolved at
> the time.)
>
> I agree that the outline commands are pretty awkward...  but outline
> minor mode is used in a large number of major modes, and has to be
> consistent throughout all those modes.  So M-<arrows> can't really be
> used for this, I think.

Also, FWIW, Emacs 28 now makes it possible to use TAB and S-TAB in
outline-minor-mode by setting outline-minor-mode-cycle.  That doesn't
address navigation, but at least it brings outline-minor-mode on par
with Org in terms of ergonomy for cycling levels.