Subject: Re: bug#1598: Please add easy key bindings for outline-(minor-)mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 17:04:09 +0200

Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]> writes:

> The default key bindings for outline-mode and outline-minor-mode are
> difficult to remember and slow to use. I think the main reason is that
> there are way too many different key-bindings to operate with outlining.
>
> I suggest that you make keys like M-<left> and M-<right> to act modally
> so that they open and close one outline level at the time depending on
> which levels and bodies are currently visible. In addition to that, and
> to make outline navigating easy, M-<up> and M-<down> could move the
> cursor to previous and next visible outline header.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately wasn't resolved at
the time.)

I agree that the outline commands are pretty awkward...  but outline
minor mode is used in a large number of major modes, and has to be
consistent throughout all those modes.  So M-<arrows> can't really be
used for this, I think.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no