Subject: RE: bug#15974: 24.3.50; emacs -Q -nw: awful color for input fields: BRIGHT YELLOW

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 16:57:01 -0800 (PST)

> >> > See attached screenshot, for emacs -Q -nw, of a Customize
> >> > buffer, showing color-name fields and face fields.
> >> >
> >> > "What were they thinking?" is what anyone looking at this
> >> > should think.  All user input fields, including the giant
> >> > search field, are BRIGHT YELLOW.  On a black background,
> >> > no less.
> >>
> >> It does look kinda stark, yes.  Is this only with -nw?
> >
> > I think so.
> 
> I seem to be unable to find where these offending faces are.
> What were you trying to customize exactly?

Lars, you are missing the point.  It is not the colors of the
_faces_ that are awful.  It is the colors of the "color-name
fields and face fields".  It is the EDITING FIELDS that use
the awful bright-yellow.

---

But if you are for some reason interested in the code that
defines the option, this is it:

(defcustom hlt-auto-face-backgrounds
  (let ((tty-cols   (hlt-tty-colors))
        (tty-faces  (hlt-remove-if-not #'facep
                     '(highlight isearch isearch-fail lazy-highlight
                       mode-line mode-line-inactive next-error
                       nobreak-space secondary-selection tooltip
                       trailing-whitespace))))
    (if (display-graphic-p)
        (append tty-cols
                '("DeepPink" "MediumPurple1" "SpringGreen1"
                  "DarkOrange" "HotPink1")
                tty-faces
                (hlt-remove-if-not
                 #'facep '(header-line mode-line-highlight)))
      (append tty-cols tty-faces)))
  "..."
  :type '(repeat (choice
                  (color :tag "Background color" :value "yellow")
                  (face  :tag "Face" :value "highlight")))
  :group 'highlight)