Subject: bug#15969: closed (Re: bug#15969: 24.3.50; erc-button fails with error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#15969: 24.3.50; erc-button fails with error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
15969: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15969
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#15969: 24.3.50; erc-button fails with error
From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:26:18 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

That indeed works.  What does that tell us?

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Try this instead:
>
> *** lisp/erc/erc-button.el      2013-09-19 02:21:31 +0000
> --- lisp/erc/erc-button.el      2013-11-25 03:20:38 +0000
> ***************
> *** 514,520 ****
>            (code (cdr (assoc action erc-nick-popup-alist))))
>       (when code
>         (erc-set-active-buffer (current-buffer))
> !       (eval code))))
>
>   ;;; Callback functions
>   (defun erc-button-describe-symbol (symbol-name)
> --- 514,520 ----
>            (code (cdr (assoc action erc-nick-popup-alist))))
>       (when code
>         (erc-set-active-buffer (current-buffer))
> !       (eval code `((nick . ,nick))))))
>
>   ;;; Callback functions
>   (defun erc-button-describe-symbol (symbol-name)
>

Subject: 24.3.50; erc-button fails with error
From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 22:43:58 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I started "erc" with M-x erc RET.  

In an erc buffer, I moved point onto a nick that appeared at the left margin.

I typed RET whois RET.

I expected to see a message like this appear in the erc buffer:

        *** fledermaus is Vivek Dasmohapatra ([email-masked])

Instead, I saw in the echo area:

         eval: Symbol's value as variable is void: nick

After some back-and-forth with fledermaus, I wound up deleting the ``-*-
lexical-binding:t -*-`` from the top of erc-button.el, recompiling and
reloading that file ... and that made it work again.  I don't understand
why.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2013-08-31 on ip-10-171-85-229
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --without-x'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
b s h e RET c d SPC / u s r / l o c TAB s r TAB e m 
TAB l i TAB s TAB e r c RET g i t SPC l o g SPC - - 
a l l SPC - - SPC e r c - b u TAB RET C-c C-p ESC 0 
C-l C-x b C-n RET o d d l y , SPC n o t h j i n g SPC 
s i g n i f i c a n t SPC h a s SPC b e e n SPC d o 
n e SPC t o SPC t h a t SPC f i l e SPC s i n c e SPC 
S t e f a n ' s SPC c h a n g e . SPC SPC W h y SPC 
a m SPC I SPC t h e SPC o n l y SPC o n e SPC c o m 
p l a i n i n g ? RET A p a r t C-a ( C-e SPC f r o 
m SPC m y SPC p r o p e n s i t y SPC t o SPC w h i 
n e ) RET C-x b C-n RET C-x n w C-x v l D C-x 1 n n 
º C-l n n n n n n n n n n N N p p C-n C-p C-h c C-g 
ESC < C-s - b u t t o n C-s C-s C-a n ESC 0 C-l n q 
C-c C-@ s h o SPC n u f f RET t x RET ESC x r e p o 
r t - e m TAB RET

Recent messages:
Wrote /mnt/emacs/lisp/erc/erc-button.elc
Checking /mnt/emacs/lisp/erc/... [33 times]
Done (Total of 1 file compiled, 34 skipped)
Mark saved where search started
Making completion list...
/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/erc ~/homedir 
Finding changes in ....
C-g runs the command keyboard-quit
Mark set
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/custom hides /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/custom
/home/erich/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-20120406.2251/tabulated-list hides /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader reposition
two-column autoconf autoconf-mode xt-mouse ruler-mode fringe scroll-bar
hexl wdired arc-mode archive-mode finder magit loadhist esh-var esh-io
esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module
esh-mode esh-util ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff gh-issues gh-pulls gh-repos lui-format lui
tracking tar-mode shorten autoload lisp-mnt iswitchb cmuscheme js imenu
find-dired browse-url pcmpl-gnu sort browse-kill-ring nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode
cus-edit cus-start cus-load tabify vc-annotate sql-indent sql log-edit
org-table novice cperl-mode term ehelp electric python erc-truncate
debug geiser-mode geiser-xref geiser-racket geiser-guile geiser-repl
geiser-image geiser-doc geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-menu
geiser-company geiser-autodoc info-look geiser geiser-edit etags
geiser-completion geiser-eval geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax
geiser-log geiser-popup geiser-impl geiser-custom geiser-base scheme
ffap mule-util sh-script smie executable rect org-element org-wl org-w3m
org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html
org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat
org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs dired-aux
descr-text hl-line whitespace gnutls url-cache cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
disp-table jka-compr apropos epa-file conf-mode iso-transl add-log
log-view pcvs-util vc vc-dispatcher edit-list erc-spelling flyspell
ispell dabbrev view misearch multi-isearch pcmpl-unix smerge-mode
network-stream erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp
erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp color help-mode
xterm woman man eldoc gist gh-gist gh-oauth gh-api logito gh-cache
pcache gh-auth gh-common gh-url url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231
url-cookie url-domsuf url-gw gh-profile json timezone eieio-base
magit-cherry magit-bisect magit-key-mode epa epg epg-config diff-mode
easy-mmode git-rebase-mode thingatpt git-commit-mode magit-compat vc-git
derived autorevert filenotify paste-to-dropbox path server starttls
smtpmail sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils warnings
url-util url-parse url-vars grep compile find-func ibuf-ext ibuf-macs
ibuffer tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util
mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice help-fns recentf
tree-widget wid-edit ido dired-x dired edmacro kmacro regexp-opt
perl-extras cl-macs gv cl cl-loaddefs cl-lib perl-mode autoinsert
eshell-manual-autoloads gist-autoloads finder-inf gh-autoloads eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core logito-autoloads
lui-autoloads info tool-bar easymenu pcache-autoloads package time image
rx uniquify midnight time-date ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify multi-tty emacs)