Subject: RE: bug#15962: 24.3.50; emacs_backtrace.txt

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 08:18:12 -0800 (PST)

> Please try to gather a few more data points.  It is important to know
> if this happens with special frames, or with normal ones as well.

What do you mean by "special frames"? Thumbnail frames are normal frames,
as I described.  They are just small.  And I think, but am not sure, that
I got the crashes also when clicking in a non-thumbnail frame.

> > My unfounded guess is still that it is just the change of focus that
> > provokes the crash.
> 
> Then it would be a mystery, because then everybody on Windows should
> have these crashes all the time.

That doesn't follow.  How many users use multiple frames?  And how many
use a standalone minibuffer frame?  And yes, no doubt my
`default-frame-alist' is different from most.  And so on.

> There's still something special to your configuration or usage
> patterns, I think.

Certainly my Emacs is highly customized.  If the problem arises only
with some one or more of the thousands of differences between my setup
and `emacs -Q', good luck trying to guess which one or more setting
differences might be revealing the Emacs bug?  Even just user option
value differences probably number in the dozens.  Might be quicker to
look at all Emacs changes since before these crashes were reported...

Perhaps the code that produces the backtrace can be improved to give
better info?  If it essentially just says, "No idea; something crashed",
then it isn't much help, at least in this case.