Subject: bug#15962: 24.3.50; emacs_backtrace.txt

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:39:13 -0800 (PST)

> > But the backtrace, however inaccurate, is genuine - not at all bogus;
> > I can assure you of that.
> 
> I didn't think otherwise.  By "bogus" I meant that the data was
> garbled, not that it was sabotaged.

I see.  Yes, there is a slang sense it which "bogus" can indicate
something "displeasing, of poor quality, or 'uncool'".
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/bogus

But in general it means fake, not genuine. (Google "bogus definition".)

not genuine or true; fake
counterfeit or fake; not genuine
not real or genuine: fake or false
not genuine; counterfeit; spurious; sham
fraudulent, pseudo, fake, phony
spurious or counterfeit; not genuine
...

Origin: 
1825-30,  Americanism; originally an apparatus for coining false money;
perhaps akin to bogy

Word Origin & History - bogus 
"counterfeit money," 1839, Amer.Eng., apparently from a slang word
applied in Ohio in 1827 to a counterfeiter's apparatus. Some trace
this to tantrabobus, a late 18c. colloquial Vermont word for any
odd-looking object, which may be connected to tantarabobs, recorded
as a Devonshire name for the devil.