Subject: Re: bug#15946: 24.3; Mac OS X, Mavericks, distnoted process

From: canoeberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:15:33 -0800 (PST)

I have been observing this since Mavericks was released. I did not make a
connection between distnoted and emacs, other than the following
observation: both are leaking memory.

For the first time ever I am finding that my emacs process slowly grows in
size. I can be editing a small handful of files and be using 500Mb of real
memory. Never seen that before, ever.

Distnoted grows much faster, on the order of 1Gb real memory / day. Killing
that process and having another start up automatically causes some OS X
features to stop working, e.g., it is not possible to enter Time Machine or
even see the status of your Time Machine backups anymore.

I have seen distnoted peg the CPU when Time Machine backups are running or
recently completed. Meanwhile, the menubar no longer animates the
in-progress backup, which I assume is not on purpose and possibly even
related to the issue.

I do not use shells in emacs nowadays.

I am running emacs from emacsformacosx.

I have filed bugs with Apple.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to figure out what is causing Emacs to
grow in size, I will happily run some experiments for you. I tried to figure
out how to profile emacs memory but it was not very obvious to me what to
do.

--
View this message in context: http://emacs.1067599.n5.nabble.com/bug-15946-24-3-Mac-OS-X-Mavericks-distnoted-process-tp303500p310127.html
Sent from the Emacs - Bugs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.