Subject: bug#15925: 24.3.50; error when customizing whitespace-display-mappings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:00:07 +0200

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

> Those are good points.  A couple of questions:
> - Do we change the display for the space character as well?
>
> We could display it as ?\s, or leave it as " ", which makes the
> character widget appear empty, when it's not.
>
> - What do we do with the other escape sequences, like ?\r and ?\f?
>
> Right now, we display those as ^M and ^L respectively.  If we keep this
> representation, maybe somebody will feel there is some inconsistency,
> because some characters we display as ^M, while others as \n.  Perhaps
> is not a big deal, though.

We should definitely strive for consistency here...  \r and \f for ^M
and ^L is fine by me (although I guess more people are familiar with ^L
than \f).

As for space...  Hm.  It's unfortunate that it's displayed just as a
blank, so displaying it as \s would definitely make sense.  But it also
sounds a bit confusing.  :-/  Could we ... use a different background
colour on the space to indicate that it's there?  I guess that's not all
that easy to interpret, either...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no