Subject: bug#15905: 24.3; url-copy-file sometimes silently downloads garbage or incomplete file

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 13:45:54 -0500

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Lars, what is the argument for rejecting external TLS programs, for and
>> against?
>
> I don't know what the pro argument is.

One of the pro arguments, of course, is choice.

>
> The argument against is that using external programs doesn't go through
> the Emacs network security manager, and TLS validation either has to be
> switched off ("--insecure") or switched on for all connections.  Which
> is, of course, unacceptable.

You can use certificates with the -CApath argument to OpenSSL just like
GnuTLS uses trustfiles -- it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I'm not suggesting that the ("--insecure") switch be the default but why
actively prevent users from using OpenSSL or any other external SSL/TLS
program if they choose to do so and go through the trouble of setting
it up for themselves?

No one is against having internal GnuTLS and NSM facilities as a
convenience and a security feature enabled and setup for users as
the default environment.

But please reconsider removing choice for users.

Thanks.