Subject: bug#15900: 24.3.50; foreground-color-at-point returns wrong results

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 03:04:56 +0100

Hello,

`foreground-color-at-point' doesn't return the expected result when
there are several faces at point present.

For example, on the red subject in a Gnus article buffer, or on a blue
link in w3m, it returns "black".  Looking at the code, I see that
`foreground-color-at-point' uses

  (face-at-point)

i.e., it looks only at one face and disregards the others.  This is
especially meaningless when this first face doesn't specify any
foreground at all.

Thanks,

Michael.

P.S. Some background: I'm working on an addition to stripe-buffer.el
that changes the foreground color continuously, instead of changing the
background.  This is for better readability.

I want to keep the foreground colors already present, so that e.g. links
in w3m are still recognizable.  Paragraphs in italic can be colored
OTOH.

So, what I need is a reliable `foreground-color-at-point'.  Tips and
alternatives welcome.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
 of 2013-11-13 on drachen
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/built/'