Subject: Re: bug#15899: 24.3.50; regression: `region' overlay is lower priority than default

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 12:25:36 +0200

On 16.11.2013 10:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Yes, but if the region overlay will have priority infinity, the
>> inconsistency will "be gone" in the opposite way from how 15618 was
>> resolved.
>
> But the behavior will still be consistent.  And complaint about
> inconsistency is how I read that bug report.  It even asks "which is
> the right behavior?", implying that having it consistent either way
> would be OK.

The bug report was what is was, but `easy-kill' depends on region 
highlighting working in a certain way.

>> Which will make the related feature of `easy-kill' much harder (maybe
>> impossible) to implement.
>
> Can you tell more about this feature, and why it cares to be "more
> equal" than the region?  (Sorry, I don't have time to read the source
> or try it.)  Why is it important for easy-kill overlay to make region
> highlighting invisible?

It has a command `easy-mark' which selects some unit of text around 
point. And it uses a dedicated overlay to mark the place where point was 
before the command was called, in color.

So that overlay needs to have higher priority than region. No need to 
make region highlighting invisible.

>> If the region overlay will have a high but finite and documented
>> priority, that would be much better.
>
> Which will start an "overlay priority arms race", something I loathe.

I don't think so. The region overlay priority won't change, even if 
people decide to shoot themselves in the foot and raise priorities of 
overlays inappropriately.