Subject: Re: bug#15899: 24.3.50; regression: `region' overlay is lower priority than default

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:49:32 +0200

> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 00:35:25 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On 15.11.2013 18:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >>>> I'm not convinced it's a bug, since this "bug" was also the fix for
> >>>> another bug.
> >>>
> >>> Was that other bug also about priorities of faces?
> >>
> >> Yes. http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15618
> >
> > But since the region is now an overlay, the inconsistency will be
> > gone, right?
> 
> Yes, but if the region overlay will have priority infinity, the 
> inconsistency will "be gone" in the opposite way from how 15618 was 
> resolved.

But the behavior will still be consistent.  And complaint about
inconsistency is how I read that bug report.  It even asks "which is
the right behavior?", implying that having it consistent either way
would be OK.

> Which will make the related feature of `easy-kill' much harder (maybe 
> impossible) to implement.

Can you tell more about this feature, and why it cares to be "more
equal" than the region?  (Sorry, I don't have time to read the source
or try it.)  Why is it important for easy-kill overlay to make region
highlighting invisible?

> If the region overlay will have a high but finite and documented 
> priority, that would be much better.

Which will start an "overlay priority arms race", something I loathe.