Subject: bug#15882: 24.3.50; gnus does not suppress email tracking

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:14:15 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was unable to test this, because our virus scanner eviscerated the
> message.  Could you forward a complete message from the privacy tester,
> or just a simple test case that shows the SVG problem?

I'll send you the test email off the ML.

> Is the problem that the imagemagick library fetches (sub-)images from
> embedded SVG images or something?

The web site gives as explanation

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Test - SVG inline with remote image

In the <body> of the HTML part, place a tag as follows:

<svg version="1.1" baseProfile="full" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image xlink:href="http://TRACKING_URL/"/>
</svg>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I would conclude, that the <image ... /> link does not point to an
image, but just an arbitrary URL which is used for tracking. Likely,
images shall not be loaded by default in shr. At least there shall be an
option which prevents this, when shr is used for rendering email in gnus.

Best regards, Michael.