Subject: bug#15876: 24.3.50; Highly degraded performance between rev 114715 and 115006

From: "Sebastien Vauban" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:23:14 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: "Sebastien Vauban" <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:04:06 +0100
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> - Moving with C-up/down takes more time with latest Emacs, and uses up to 33%
>>   of my CPU (vs about 1% with rev 114715).
>> 
>> - S-TAB'ing in an Org mode file takes 20s (vs 1s with rev 114715) and eats up
>>   to 33% of my CPU as well.
>
> Try setting cache-long-scans to nil in your Org buffers, and see if
> that makes any change.  If it does, then please report as a bug with
> some minimal reproduction recipe starting with "emacs -Q".

It does not, as you can see in http://screencast.com/t/nBZ9VqyyW.

There, I first try with the default setting, then eval your expression, and
continue to move the cursor or S-TAB. Still the same long delays, and
over-usage of the CPU.

BTW, I was expecting it to be so, as I'm using a Git copy of Org [1] -- this
was not said in my mail. Hence, if a change in Org was responsible for the
problem, I *should* have it in both Emacs versions or not at all, no?

Of course, would I use the Org built-in with Emacs, changing of Emacs version
would mean also changing of Org version. But that's not my case.

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] Currently: Org-mode version 8.2.1 (release_8.2.1-202-gea797e.dirty @
    ~/Public/Repositories/org-mode/lisp/).

-- 
Sebastien Vauban