Subject: bug#15876: 24.3.50; Highly degraded performance between rev 114715 and 115006

From: Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 20:12:59 +0400

On 12/13/2013 07:22 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> So let me turn the table and ask what do we gain by this compaction?
> The original motivation was here:
>
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-10/msg00740.html
>
> but it was mainly about not releasing the fonts.  With the current
> trunk, if I run that bloat-font function, after disabling the
> compaction code, I see only a small increase in the memory footprint,
> something like 30MB, at least on Windows.  Do you see something
> different on X?

In that e-mail, I reported about ~360M RSS usage reduced to ~150M.
In http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-10/msg00750.html,
Stefan has confirmed ~300M RSS usage.  Although things like bloat-font
aren't typical use cases, holding ~200M which we can't reuse is worth
trying to fix, IMHO.

Dmitry