Subject: RE: bug#15861: 24.3.50; lots of byte-compiler code written to *Messages* at runtime

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:50:20 -0800 (PST)

> It's some snafu, but it's hard to say what is at work exactly.  I
> tried to reproduce this, but couldn't, because some function this
> code calls is not defined.  So I don't even know if compiling this
> in Emacs 24 would prevent the problem (but I guess you can check
> this yourself).

I have done that now, in this build:

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-11-12 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

That made no difference.  But see below.

> IOW, there's not enough information here to dig into the problem.

I took another look, and there is no bug; sorry.

FYI, I had some debug calls to `message' in the file, and one of
them printed the value of argument ORIG-FUN.  Apparently the value
of that argument is what has changed in recent builds.

Printing that argument now leads to tons of binary code plus the
complete doc string being logged.  IOW, the argument now seems
to be a byte-compiled function, whereas it was not compiled before.

Sorry for the noise.  I will close the bug.