Subject: Re: bug#15859: 24.3.50; Calc - dimensionless units again

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 01:07:01 +0200

Roland Winkler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Therefore, I believe reverting the changes to calc-convert-units is
> the best thing to do.  Then, any future changes should document the
> use cases they intend to fix or address.

I now tried your originally posted examples (1) and (2) with the old
version of `calc-convert-units' you posted, and they both don't seem to
work as you wish: (1) errors, it just doesn't ask about the old units
before that, and case (2) is also simplified to a plain number.

Are you able to test these cases using that old Calc code?  I first want
to know what are really regressions, and then we can try to find a
solution.  Just going back to the version of `calc-convert-units' you
had posted doesn't seem to do what you want.

BTW, my impression of the intended semantics of
`calc-allow-units-as-numbers' is that an expression that can be
transformed into an equivalent unitless expression will be treated like
a unitless expression, i.e. as a number.  I think this is the opposite
of what you want.

I still agree that the current default behavior is not acceptable in
your examples btw.

TIA,

Michael.