Subject: Re: bug#15848: 24.3.50; cperl-mode + which-function: Improve reporting (corner case)

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:44:23 +0530

Nathan Trapuzzano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jambunathan K <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>     Perl->Tools->Imenu-POD headers menu entry.  
>>     cperl-imenu-index-pod is a variable defined in `cperl-mode.el'.

> Perhaps I misunderstand, but when I have that variable set to nil, the
> POD imenu entries go away, which is what the docstring says. 

The behaviour is as documented.  I should have done something wrong
yesterday.

> However, I think indexing the POD entries by default is the better way
> for several reasons:
>
> 1. cperl-mode already does it that way.
> 2. perl-mode does it.
> 3. There is no "pod-mode".  For editing pod files, perl-/cperl-mode is
>    the best Emacs has.  Moreover, many people _do_ write plain pod
>    files, in which case the entries should get indexed.

Hmm.... Losing something to gain some thing else doesn't seem good to
me.

I cursorily looked at cperl-mode.  My gut feeling is that which-function
decides the box it is in by looking at the markers that is returned.  So
we may have to examine what value goes in to the marker.  

My recommendation would be to put the patch on hold.