Subject: Re: bug#15844: 24.3.50; Segfault in redisplay_internal

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:37:30 +0200

> From: Nathan Trapuzzano <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 06:00:38 -0500
> 
> > Please try to figure out how come FACE_FROM_ID returns NULL when the
> > face ID is 24.  (Is it always 24 when this happens?)
> 
> It's been 24 every time I've looked, which appears to be the "fringe"
> face.  The reason NULL is returned is frame->face_cache->used is 23.

'fringe'?  But this is a TTY session, right?  Emacs is not supposed to
use this face on TTY frames, and even on GUI frames that face is not
used in *Help* buffers.  So how come this face got into this
situation?

If you type "M-x list-faces-display RET", does Emacs also crash, or
does it successfully display all the faces, including 'fringe'?

Also, is the 'fringe' face remapped, or is some other face remapped to
look like 'fringe'?

In any case, can you find a reproducible recipe from "emacs -Q"?  That
would help tremendously to hunt down this bug.