Subject: bug#15841: Display bugs with cache-long-lines non-nil

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:05:42 +0100

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:34:05 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 18:31:32 +0200
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> In any case, I already traced through the code that is involved, and
>> the immediate reason for the assertion violation is that the cache
>> isn't being updated wrt changes in buffer size (which are caused by
>> decoding the stuff brought in by 'ls').  However, a naive attempt to
>> force such updates didn't solve the whole problem: the aborts are
>> gone, but the infloop is still there, and also other minor display
>> issues.  So I guess there's another factor at work there...
>
> I think I might have found a solution for this.  Could you please run
> with the patch below for a while, and see if it gives good results?

Initial tests succeeded: `i' in Dired works as expected and there is no
infloop or display oddities.  I'll report back if any problems crop up
on further use.  Otherwise, thanks for fixing this!

Steve Berman