Subject: bug#15832: 24.3.50; doc of `up-list' and moving by "parens"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 21:49:44 -0800

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. The doc strings of `up-list' and similar commands do not make clear
> that the movement is not necessarily about parentheses (in spite of the
> command names).  As (emacs) `Moving by Parens' takes care to say, such
> commands "move over groupings delimited by parentheses (or whatever else
> serves as delimiters in the language you are working with)."  The
> information in parentheses in this phrase is what is missing from the
> doc strings.

Fixed on trunk.

> 2. `up-list' should be added to the list of commands mentioned in
> (emacs) `Moving by Parens'.  `down-list' and `backward-up-list' are
> mentioned, but not `up-list'.

`up-list' doesn't have a keyboard definition, which is why it's probably
not documented in the Emacs manual.

> 3. (elisp) `List Motion' mentions that the syntax table controls which
> characters are treated like parentheses, which is good.  It then
> cross-references (emacs) `Moving by Parens' "for user-level commands."
>
> It is good to cross-reference, but what are described at (elisp) `List
> Motion' *are* user-level commands, so the characterization "for
> user-level commands" is confusing and misleading.  The cross reference
> should just say "see also".

The things described in the Emacs manual here are clearly more
user-levelish, so I think that's OK.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/