Subject: bug#15832: 24.3.50; doc of `up-list' and moving by "parens"

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 20:22:45 -0800 (PST)

1. The doc strings of `up-list' and similar commands do not make clear
that the movement is not necessarily about parentheses (in spite of the
command names).  As (emacs) `Moving by Parens' takes care to say, such
commands "move over groupings delimited by parentheses (or whatever else
serves as delimiters in the language you are working with)."  The
information in parentheses in this phrase is what is missing from the
doc strings.

2. `up-list' should be added to the list of commands mentioned in
(emacs) `Moving by Parens'.  `down-list' and `backward-up-list' are
mentioned, but not `up-list'.

Emacs Lisp is a big part of Emacs, yet the only place where `up-list' is
mentioned in the Emacs manual is in node `Tex Editing', where it is
described as "moving forward past the close brace."  `Moving by Parens'
is a reasonable place to mention `up-list'.

3. (elisp) `List Motion' mentions that the syntax table controls which
characters are treated like parentheses, which is good.  It then
cross-references (emacs) `Moving by Parens' "for user-level commands."

It is good to cross-reference, but what are described at (elisp) `List
Motion' *are* user-level commands, so the characterization "for
user-level commands" is confusing and misleading.  The cross reference
should just say "see also".

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-10-19 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 114715 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'