Subject: 24.3; (format-time-string "%h") returns "" instead of month

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 01:05:45 +0100

Hello,

  when I execute 

(format-time-string "%h")

I get a return value of "" instead of "nov" meaning
November, the current date month. On the contrary,
execution of

(format-time-string "%b")

correctly returns "nov". I suppose this is
due to the runtime of my Windows installation
(an ordinary Windows 7 64-bit) not supporting
C99 format modifiers of the C function "strftime".

  My conjecture came after reading of this page:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/ctime/strftime/ .

  I kindly ask if someone good-willed Emacs user
might see if the problem happens on his/her
Windows machine. A test on Linux could be also
a useful counterexample.

  If it affects other users too, my suggestion is to
simply add a note in the docstring of format-time-string,
saying that modifier "%h" requires a C99-compliant
runtime. 

  Thanks for your attention, kindest regards.

  Andrea

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ITA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
w h e n SPC e x e c u t i n g SPC w i t h SPC C - j 
SPC I SPC g e t SPC " " SPC i n s t e a d SPC o f SPC 
" n o v " : <return> <return> ( f o r m a t - t i m 
e - s t r i n g SPC " % h " ) C-j <return> <return> 
<return> " % b " SPC w o r k s SPC f o r SPC m e : 
<return> <return> ( f o r m a t - t i m e - s t r i 
n g SPC " % b " ) C-j O K : SPC I SPC g o t SPC " n 
o v " SPC a s SPC r e s u l t <return> <return> M-x 
r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
scroll-up-command: End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32 multi-tty emacs)