Subject: Re: bug#15813:

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 10:20:30 -0700

tag 15813 notabug
thanks

On 11/05/2013 07:41 AM, andrews wrote:
> WTF?
> sudo rmdir -rf /media/Work/DOWNLOADS/KSP\ -\ Kerbal\ Space\ Program\
> 0.21.1\ \(2-click\ run\)/
> rmdir: неверный ключ -- r
> Попробуйте `rmdir --help' для получения более подробного описания.

[I had to look up in ru.po to untranslate your message; in the C locale,
this is complaining: invalid option -- 'r']

This is correct.  rmdir does not have a -r option; perhaps you were
thinking of 'rm' instead of 'rmdir'?

> 
> sudo rmdir -Rf /media/Work/DOWNLOADS/KSP\ -\ Kerbal\ Space\ Program\
> 0.21.1\ \(2-click\ run\)/
> rmdir: неверный ключ -- R
> Попробуйте `rmdir --help' для получения более подробного описания.

Likewise, 'rmdir' does not have a -R option.

> 
> sudo rmdir -p /media/Work/DOWNLOADS/KSP\ -\ Kerbal\ Space\ Program\
> 0.21.1\ \(2-click\ run\)/
> rmdir: не удалось удалить «/media/Work/DOWNLOADS/KSP - Kerbal Space
> Program 0.21.1 (2-click run)/»: Каталог не пуст

And here, the untranslated message is (roughly, assuming I guessed the
correct strerror translation mapping): failed to remove directory
/media...: directory not empty

That's because 'rmdir' only removes empty directories, but "KSP - Kerbal
Space Program 0.21.1 (2-click run)" appears to be a non-empty directory.
 Again, use 'rm -r' not 'rmdir'.

I'm closing this as user error rather than a bug in coreutils, although
you may feel free to respond if you have more comments or questions on
the topic.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org